Thursday, May 15, 2008

Knocking Off a TIBI Blouse

My current project is a knock-off one. I am knocking-off a TIBI top, a label designed by Amy Smilovic.
I saw this top at revolveclothing.com and really liked it, however, there are only so many occasions it can be worn at because as you can see in the pictures, it is fairly evening-wear. So, I thought I’d make it in a fabric that would render more casual look to it.

It took two muslins to get the pattern ready but the patternmaking process was fun.

Fabric:
The original top is made from: shell: 55% cotton 45% poly, lining: 100% acetate. Since I wanted to keep the design but change the purpose of the top to a more casually styled garment, I chose:
- for the shell: charcoal heather doubleknit rayon blend 4-way stretch from Emmaonesock.com
- for the lining: black rayon lining.

Design:
I am keeping it true to the original design with the exception that I decided to onit the back closure (in the CS seam below the neckline) because the muslin proved I could slide my head through the opening with no issues.

Construction: I have already thread traced the shell and the lining. I have never actually thread traced a garment before, at least not in its entirety. This time I chose to do so just to see how it goes. My conclusions: 1. it is time consuming and 2. it is worth it, especially for the rayon lining.

The original top is fully lined and so will be my knock-off. The lining of this top is made partially as a true lining and partially as an interlining. What I mean is that the linings of the bodice and the one of the sleeves are made separately from the shell, then attached to the bottom hemss of the shell and the sleeves. From that point I am going to treat the lining as interlining and baste it to the armscye and neckline.
I am hoping to finish it by tomorrow night and post some photos of the finished top.


No comments: