Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Burda WOF Waistcoat – Part I

I made up my muslin and here are the photos:

As you can see the right front has frill on the armscye and the left one has lapel.
Design decisions:
To frill or not to frill: While I love both version, at this point I think that I would get more use of the frill-less version.
The lapel: Will definitely use the lapel.Pockets: I decided on no pocket. I think it is a cleaner look this way and I would never use the pockets anyway

Fabric choice: Here is my fabric and the buttons.

Fabric: Navy/white pinstripe- $6.24, from Joann
Lining: Navy Baroque satin - $3.24, from Joann
Buttons: $3, from Joann
Interlining: Cotton Batiste- $6, from the sewingplace.com
Interfacing: Feather weft - $2, from the sewingplace.com
Total for the project: $20.48
I chose navy as my color because of my inspiration and also because I think it would go really well with denim.

Pattern alterations: I traces size 36 and interestingly enough I did not have to do any alterations for fit other than let out a bit the side seams under the arms.
Notes on Construction: I am making this vest fully lined because it is going to be rubbing against my skin. I am avoiding the back neckline facing and extending the lining to the back neckline. The entire vest is going to be interlined with cotton batiste. I am interfacing the interlining for the outer peplum pieces and for the outer collar pieces with feather weft (an idea borrowed from Cidell at http://missceliespants.blogspot.com/) and stabilizing the armhole and the back neckline with fusible bias tape sent to me couple of years ago by Els (http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/category/els/).
Here is a picture of the work in progress:

So, back to work and hopefully it will be done by the end of the week! Having a little one, housework, and yardwork shrinks my sewing time to mostly late night sewing...