Friday, November 12, 2010

Corduroy Trench and Shorts

I’ve been toying with the idea of making a trench for Emma for a while; so, when I found this polka dot corduroy fabric I knew I had to try it.

Speaking of fabrics, when I was planning the fall capsule for my daughter, I first narrowed down the pieces I wanted to make, and then focused on the fabrics. I definitely wanted some corduroy; it is such a cosy fall material! I was glad I could use a flower-print one I’ve had for a few years (see the shorts in this post), and I found the polka dot one online. It was an added bonus that both cord fabrics coordinated. Also, both are pinwales and lightweight.

As you can see, the shapes of the trench are very basic, yet, lady-like. I was glad to find the lace-up shoes to "toughen up" an otherwise very girly wardrobe.

Construction-wise, the trench has inseam pockets, cuffed sleeves, and is lined in lightweight cotton fabric, all practical details.

We found the cap in TJ Maxx and I knew it would perfectly compliment the trench, so, we had to have it.

I had to wait three weeks for the flower-shaped buttons, but it was worth it, they add just the right touch of whimsy.

I find that shorts are a great alternative to skirts, even for winter, worn with tights.

The pattern for this pair of shorts is from Burda WOF, and was reviewed here: as a summer garment. For fall, I made it in flower-print corduroy, in a size bigger.
As I have said before, I love the playfulness and girliness of this pattern. I highly recommend it to anyone sewing for a girl.

A couple of detail shots:

Monday, November 8, 2010

Dresses, Dresses, And More Dresses

DD loves dresses. If she had it her way, she would wear dresses only, preferably princess ones...

As part of my fall capsule for her, I made 3 dresses.

1. Diamonds and Squares dress.

This dress was made using a Burda WOF pattern, but unfortunately, I don't remember which one. I used a poly knit and played with the pattern: the placket features squares and the rest of the dress diamonds. The dress is underlined with a lightweight cotton knit, and the neckline is bound with lightweight brown corduroy cut on the bias. There is a CB button closure.

The other 2 dresses I had made before (2 years ago) in a smaller size. They turned out to be such huge hits with DD that I remade them in her current size this summer. Since they have been previously reviewed in detail, I will provide only brief descriptions below.

2. Village Frock

The pattern was purchased from the ladies behind

For previos version and construction details, pls click here:

3. Striped Dress with Leggings

Previous version and construction details, pls click here:
This dress is self-drafted, and made from a reversible (two-faced) interlock. I utilized both sides. The bodice is lined with something similar to swimsuit lining.