Friday, March 27, 2009

Crashed...

Remember when some time ago I posted about a muslin for a boyfriend blazer? Well, I worked some more on the muslin, ordered fabric, made the blazer, the lining... The only thing I had to do was to attach the lining to the blazer. Then, the fusible interfacing started bubbling...
I have been sewing since the early 80s and have never had this happen to me before. I have used this intefacings before successfully, so my guess would be the fabric was the reason. The fabric was wool, so maybe that is why...
It is so sad because I used my entire spring break to male it and who knows when I have the same chunk of time to dod it again, if i do it again.
On the upside, the fit is great, it looks awesome on me, I learned how to make a chest pocket, a new technique for making a notched lapel, and a back vent technique.
Still though, if you have ever attempted a tailored blazer, you know how much work goes into it to get it to where you have to attach the lining, and I just ...OMG... I cannot believe it...

21 comments:

Christina said...

Oh no! That really sucks. It sounds like you learned a lot but it would have been nice to have a finished project come out of it.

Myra said...

Can you rip off the interfacing and do it sewn-in?

Adriana B. said...

Myra, not at this point...

cidell said...

Oh. I could cry for you :(

Tanya said...

Anyone who sews feels your pain. All I can say is press on, no pun intended.

Lindsay T said...

Oh, I hate it when bad things happen to good people!

Linda said...

They have come a long with interfacings so I am sorry to read that this happened. I have experienced this before so I know how frustrating this can be.

loopylulu said...

That sounds horrible, horrible, horrible. Do you at least have enough fabric left if you do want to start another one?

Adriana B. said...

I do not have fabric left, I'll have to get some if I want to do it again.

Leslie said...

Oh no Adriana. That's my worst nightmare. The thought of starting over is just too daunting sometimes. I wish I could say I've never been there but ugh, I do know how you feel. :-(

geek sewing said...

Oh, no! Sorry to hear about your blazer.

Please share what fusible interfacing you were using.

Meg said...

You poor thing! That's happened to me before too... it's probably due to the wool stretching out when you ironed the facing on. I hope you can salvage it!!!

JoanneM said...

Take a deep breath,cuss,breathe in again.
Do you need to buy ALL the yardage again or only some of it?

Emily said...

Can you post a picture of what it looks like? Maybe one of us can figure out what happened.. BTW- did you preshrink the interfacing?

MarilynB said...

This happened to me a few years ago. I had fused interfacing to the jacket pieces and they looked fine at the time. I had preshrunk both the wool and the interfacing. Once I began sewing the jacket together and pressing the seams, the bubbling started and only continued to get worse as the jacket progressed. But like you, I did have a great fitting jacket in the end. Last summer I pulled out the pattern again, made two new, great fitting jackets and did not need to go through all the time it takes to fit a new muslin.

SuBoo said...

How frustrating! Feeling your pain. Take a break, do something totally unrelated and hopefully you'll come back refreshed and ready for a new challenge.

Dei said...

Oh, no. Bummer. But I know with your talent you'll figure something out. I can't wait to see what you create.

eword10 said...

So so sorry to hear that.

Tany said...

This is terrible, I'm so sorry...

Bernadette Pian said...

Try steaming and pressing again, or sending it out to the Dry Cleaners--seriously, that helped one of my projects! Good luck and beautiful work as always.

Alexiel said...

that sucks! that has happened to me before, making a blazer and interfacing problems.. :( i was also using wool, so it really may be the fabric.