Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tulip Skirt and a Knit Tank

No tulips outside yet, but I finished the "like Malene Birger" tulip skirt!

Unbenownst to me, according to the last issue of Lucky, tulip skirts with drape details are very much in. I personally do not care that much if they are in or not, I just love the way it creates curves for me without making me look unproportional.


Some time ago I posted about the muslin making process for this skirt and my fabric choice dilema (you can scroll down the blog if you are interested).

Initially, I intended to make the lower partfrom a loud print. Well, I did not because 1) did not find the right weight printed fabric and 2) decided I wil wear it more in a solid nude color. I think that the fact this cotton has a satin finish makes a big difference. It would have been rather dull otherwise.
The main fabric used is satin cotton from Emmaonesock.com. The bottom part is underlined with quilting cotton. The underlining was aimed at creating a "POOF."
It is lined and has side inseam pockets.

This is a very distinctive style, however, I rarely, very very rarely fall for a skirt, and I absolutely love the style of this one. Therefore, I may make it again and will make sure to choose a beefy, yet quite drapey fabric for the bottom (a tall choice that will require a lot of searching).
The fabric for this skirt could have been drapier, and it would have been useful mostly in the lower front part, but I could not find anything drapey, yet with substance, at this time.

Here are some close-up photos of some construction details:





The top I am wearing is inspired by the tees from T by Alexander Wang collection: soft, loose, unpretencious, subtly sexy.

My version is made of super soft rayon jersey from Emmaonesock.com (I believe it is sold out, or I would have gotton more...)

The top is self-drafted throught the trial and error method.

I really like that it is like a plain canvass, and I can wear all my self-designed oversized jewelry with it!

13 comments:

cidell said...

You always have the best finishing techniques. I love the underlining with the trim. I haven't been sold on the tulip skirt because I have enough curve in my lower body, but love the look on everyone else -- present company included!

Jenny said...

Very nice! I love your skirt and the top is very cute as well.

Susan said...

I bought that Lucky magazine issue and thought the skirts were really cute. I am a bit scared of the added curves, too though. We'll see!

Dei said...

As always, very well constructed, drafted and styled. The color is so beautifully understated and suits you well.

JoanneM said...

Color of skirt is gorgeous. Construction and tutorial as always are excellent. Thanks!

Christy said...

I love the top and skirt - BUT...can we please talk about the shoes (in the last few pictures)??? :) LOL
I've been looking for some gladiator sandals, so I guess I have tunnel vision! Yours are so cute!

Meg said...

You are one stylish sewista!

gwensews said...

Very stylish skirt. You wear it well.

Tany said...

I LOVE the skirt, you did really great! It's very stylish and feminine, and you look stunning in it!

Marita said...

I love the beige color on you and those pieces are great, gotta love Malene Birger.

I also love the fact that you take time to complete your projects so nicely:-)

Lucky magazine is soo nice, got a few copies from a dear sewing friend in Canada, it was a great gift 'cos for some obscure and quite uncomprehensive reason it is not sold in Finland.

Myra said...

So cool how you can do that, nominated you for sisterhood award on my blog.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Beautiful construction! I am glad to hear the tulip skirt is in; I'll have to make more!

Alviana said...

U look absolutely stunning! Both the skirt and top is beautiful :)