Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ruched Sleeve Tee

I was inspired by this 3.1 Phillip Lim cotton T-shirt with ruched sleeves and high neck - . I particularly liked the bold sleeve detailing.

The material for my tee is actually sourced from three RTW t-shirts (because of the flower design on the front that I felt in love with) that I cut up - used one to cut out the front and back pieces from my pattern, and the backs of the two other tees to cut out the sleeves. I am now left with two fronts and 6 short sleeves:), I may make a beach dress for DD from them.
And here is the tee finished:

The slideshow below illustrates how I drafted/draped the tee. For the bodice I used a tee block that I made a few years ago and the sleeve was draped on a dressform.

Sleeve: SAs presses towards the bodice to control the “puff,” hem – unfinished, sleeves rolled up

Neckline: stabilized with bias tape and stitched down.

Bodice hem – coverstitched.

Conclusion: It was a first for me to drape a sleeve, I have no idea how a sleeve should be draped, so, my process was based solely on improvising. In any case, I like the result and will use my experience to drape other funky sleeves.

Two more photos of the sleeve:


Christina said...

Very cool! I love Phillip Lim apparel too.

Tany said...

Fantastic! You never cease to amaze me! I love how this T-shirt turned out and the flower print is fabulous!