Friday, June 6, 2008

Off-The-Shoulder Asymmetry

Typically, when it comes to clothes, I am not in favor in asymmetry. However, as with every rule, this one also has its few exceptions, among which is my flair for off-the-shoulder garments. According to fashion mags, the off-the-shoulder style is very much “in”, however, it is hard to find decent RTW channeling this trend. As you can see, I went conservative with this top and did not do a very pronounced off-the-shoulder neckline, but next time I might be more adventurous:



This top is fashioned after a top I once saw in the ArdenB flagship store in Chicago. It was a long sleeve jersey top that could be worn as an off-the-shoulder garment, as well as a regular top. I remember that the price put me off but I did go to the fitting room, tried the top on, loved it, and quickly sketched it on a piece of paper. I filed the piece of paper together with all my other sewing papers but never got around to making it, until now.
Here is the sketch of the top.



The measurements you see on the sketch are taken in a very *scientific* way - “finger” increments, which is how I measure things in stores when I don’t have a measuring tape :), and since I know that 4 fingers = 2.5 inches, it is as accurate as it gets!

The actual shirt is made from a knit fabric I bought 3 yrs ago from some online store, but I don’t remember from where exactly. The top is sewn VERY fast on account of a simple construction - identical front and back pieces and two rectangular pieces for the lower parts of the sleeve. I first sew the shoulder seams, then coverstitched the neckline. Next, I attached the rectangualer lower sleeve pieces to the body and then serged the underarn seams. Lastly, the bottom hem was coverstitched. It honestly cannot be any simpler than that! Here is the top lying flat:



I really like this top, although I realize that a style like that would not be everyone’s cup of tea.
although it is a very distinctive style, I can imagine making again with a stronger off-the-shoulder detail, out of some luxurious (perhaps mustardy yellow) silk jersey… Now, that would be a great summer, not-over-the-top, meet-with-friends-for-a drink, evening top. For me anyway… And think of it, I do have a mustardy yellow silk jersey in my stash!

12 comments:

katherine h said...

I love your assymetrical top. I much prefer assymmetrical tops to assymetrical skirts. Very glamorous.

Maja said...

OMG! That top is gorgeos! I absolutely love it!

lupinbunny said...

I like that very much... I might have to try a version myself.

Claire said...

The top looks good on you. I'm not a fan for myself, but on you it really looks good.

C. Dishmont said...

Its HOT. Def my cup of Tea.

Christina said...

An unusual shape and a very stylish result - I like it!

Adrienne said...

I LOVE your top!!! It is fantastic!!!

loopylulu said...

I love off the shoulder tops. Thanks for showing us the sketch

ceregana said...

wow that is perfect! I think I will make it! thanks a lot

Tany said...

This top is beautiful! I remember seeing a similar top in one of the Japanes Pattern Magic books! I must look it up!

tinydancer said...

fantastic top!!!absolutely sexy glamorous and amazing,great job!!

Darci said...

I'm nearly three years late on this top, but I think it's still a current trend with the 80s being referenced everywhere. Thanks for the sketch! I'll be making one of these for myself!