Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Polka Dot Tiered Skirt and Marc Jacobs - Inspired Tees

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and the congratulations on our baby boy!
I apologize for the non-existing maintenance of the blog, but babies do that. Luckily, he is a delightful baby and fills my heart with so much joy.

Back when I was pregnant, I made a fall capsule for DD, and will try to post the outfits as she is wearing them.

I wil start today with a skirt and two tees.

The skirt is a design inspired by J Crew's Crewcuts summer collection. The original skirt was made of silk and the tiers laid more flat. Our version is made from lightweight corduroy and poofs up, which I love:

The tees (the one worn with the skirt and the one below worn with the jeans) were inspired by the Marc by Marc Jacobs tee below. I liked the peeking twisted contrast at the hem and at the sleeves. My version is with quarter sleeves and is more fitted.
Here are two close-ups:Details on construction:
Skirt: It has a base layer ( a rectangle) onto which the gathered and hemmed tiers are attached. The waist is elasticised, with the elastic laying on the inside of the skirt. I also lined the skirt.
Tee: It actually consists of 2 tees, the inside layer being cut longer at teh hem and sleeves. The two layers are constructed separately, and then attached at the hem and sleeve hems. when attaching the side seams of the inside layer are moved clockwise for a twisted effect. Lastly, the neckband is attched to both layers simultaneously.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

aww your little girl is so pretty . I love her outfits , it's really nice to see you sewing again.

Karin van Dam said...

Awww, she looks very cute in those outfits. Nice skirt!

Audrey said...

Cute daughter and cute outfits you have sewn for her. Thanks for sharing how you constructed the twist T. I have some teenage neices that would love one.

Meg said...

Adorable!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

So cute! How I wish I could wear a poofy tiered corduroy skirt, but alas I am a little beyond the age for it.

Marita said...

Hello Adriana,

I'm so happy to see you blogging again:)
She looks so cute in her outfits, I bet you'll be in trouble soon, Rebecca would like to make me sew all the time if I didn't have the job to go to. Sometimes we make jokes about her chaining me to the sewing table and feeding me there, can you believe that "sweatshopping one's own mother" lol!!!!