Thursday, November 27, 2008

My Sweater – Your Sweater: Continuation on Sweater Reconstruction

I posted earlier about three dresses I made by reconstructing three of my own sweaters.
Recently, I took it a bit further: cut up two off-the shoulders sweaters and made a top and a skinny pant (leggings) for DD.




On making the top:
The sketch below should help better than me trying to verbalize the process.

In addition to what you see on the sketch:
· I used the neckline ribbing and reattached it to the new neckline, which resulted in something similar to a mock turtleneck.
· In the back I cut a slit, bound it and make a closure.

On making the bottom:
As you can see from the sketch below, I used the sleeves to make the pant sleeves. Next, I cut out inserts for the back and the front.

The sketch below illustrates the construction ides.

Lastly, I turned down the waist edge to make a casing for elastic.

That is all. Hope someone will find it useful. It was fun making this set, especially the pant!

7 comments:

Katie Ryan said...

You're so creative. I wish I could sew like that. Where did you learn?

Meg said...

Absolutely adorable. I used to refashion clothes for my DD when she was little; the challenge of reconstruction is always fun.

Diana said...

So sweet! What a great way to recycle.Do you use a serger to avoid the yarn from unraveling?

Shelley's Garden said...

Enjoyed your creations for your dd. I found your blog while trying to find how to alter a pj bottom pattern for my pregnant DSIL. I tried to access the drawings you'd made on a maternity pant pattern you'd drafted on Pattern Review but had no luck. What I'm trying to ascertain is how to alter the front of the pattern. If you've any suggestions on how to do that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Adriana B. said...

Shelley,
I posted back in May about drafting maternity pants. There are drawings there and instructions. Hope it will help!

Tany said...

Her new set looks fabulous! You always come up with great ideas!

shorty said...

Now that is adorable!! What a cute idea!
Shorty