Friday, October 24, 2008

Ruched Sleeve Turtleneck(s)



I like ruched sleeves and turtlenecks, so I thought, “How about a ruched Turtleneck?” I was not sure how I wanted to do the ruching until I saw it in a RTW garment. The store had it only in black and the price was great considering the quality, so I bought it with the clear idea to copy it in other colors (which I did - in white and gray). BTW, the original top is by Miss Me, a line that delivers as-of-the-moment fashions at an affordable price.
Fabric: The RTW top is made from tissue-weight jersey (the black in the middle), whereas both mine are made from lightweight jersey – white and cobalt gray – from http://www.gorgeousfabrics.com/

Copying: For the purpose of copying RTW I like to use Glad Press’n Seal Multipurpose (indeed!) Sealing Wrap. It clings to the fabric and I just mark the lines with a marker, and then transfer to paper. The sleeve, of course, I could not copy this way. I basically redrafted it using the width and height of the sleeve cap. Finally I did a test garment and the sleeve needed very minor adjustments only.

Construction-wise, the interesting part about this top is that instead of bottom hem, the bottom edge is finished with a 3.5” wide band. Also, the front neckline is fairly low, more like it would be on a crewneck tee.

Personally, I love this style – a basic bodice and a different enough sleeve!

Below is something I found while browsing - it is a 3.1 Philip Lim Rosebud SleeveTurtleneck:
Fairly similar, right!

15 comments:

toy said...

this looks great, and it was a good idea to make a few of the essential basic colors

Anonymous said...

Great tip about the Glad wrap! I'm going to go buy some this weekend. :) I've got some RTW t-shirts I've been wanting to copy, but I've procrastinated because I didn't want to make the patterns.

Myra said...

really nice.

Meg said...

You're the second sewing blogger who's mentioned Glad wrap. I'll have to give it a try. Good job.

Tany said...

I love it! It's a trendy variation of the regular turtleneck!

Daisy said...

You made wonderful copies of your tops. I like the idea of using Glad Wrap to copy garments and I'm going to try it.

Unknown said...

Hi, I am a long time Lurker, I think you are fab! could you show a pic of the pattern for the sleeve you drafted. I want to get an idea of how the shape looks on paper.

Thanks :)
Mimi

Mon Café Couture said...

this is really nice work with jersey fabric, I love them

Cennetta said...

Great looking turtleneck.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Beautiful turtleneck, and that Gladwrap idea is genius! Thank you!

Maja said...

Gorgeous turtleneck! I love absolutely everything you make. I hope you don't mind me taking a few detail ideas from you.

Alviana said...

Gorgeous! Love it. really looks great on u.

Melissa said...

What a great top!

Marita said...

Great selection of turtlenecks:-) you are an amazing talent.

Have you thougt about making the Rick Owens everybody is talking about, if anybody can do it it's you!!!!!

teresa said...

I would love to see a rough sketch also of what the pattern piece for the sleeve looks like flat. Would you be able to post one up? Much appreciated and I love your blog. Inspirational!