Friday, February 24, 2012

How Long Has It Been...?

A rhetorical question, if there was one..
I have received some emails about what was going on with me and the blog, so here it is.
I have neglected this blog for a really long time and not for a bad reason. My son is 19 months old and a handful; healthy and happy but very demanding of my time and attention. Then, my daughter, who is in Kindergarten, has her own needs with school and extracurriculars. The family... It has been nonstop.
Before, I was always able to find time after putting my daughter to bed, but now after everyone is asleep the energy and inspiration are just not there. I have only made one maxi skirt about a year ago, nothing else.
I am hoping that things will start changing and I'll be able to carve bits of time for this little hobby.
I find, more and more, the truth about the preciousness of time and have been struggling with it. Sewing is time consuming; moreover, for me it is a process that I cannot split into 10 windows of 20min each. I kind of need a block period of time so that I can focus and submerge.
I know that many of the sewers out there have families and jobs and still sew. I don't know how you all do it!
So, bottom line, hopefully, I will come back to making stuff and posting about it. The "when" part if it is unclear at this time. Crossing my fingers...

7 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I sew late at night after my kids go to bed - but I seem to be a nightowl, and also my kids are now 7 and 4 so I'm not as exhausted as I used to be when they were younger.

Anyway, it's supposed to be fun, so just leave the sewing till you do have the time and energy.

All the best with your family -Gabrielle

cidell said...

Time flies! I hadn't realized it had been that long. I don't know how people with families and jobs do it either. I barely have time and it's just me. It's great to hear that your family is thriving.

lin3arossa said...

Crossing mine, though I fully understand you

Eileensews said...

Glad you and family are well. I do miss your sewing posts.

Bunny said...

Truth be told, when mine were little the machine never came out. This was the time I learned embroidery and hand quiilting, something I could pick up for a few minutes and work on in my lap while the baby took a nap. I really had a drought of garment sewing when mine were little. But it all came back. So take advantage of this time to learn some new skills that you can practice with minimal intrusion. When you get back to garment sewing you will be glad you have those in your tool box.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing well! Sewing is just a hobby. When you have time for it you'll come back to it.

Evelyn said...

I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old, and the only true time I have to sew is Friday & Saturday nights after they're in bed.
If I'm immersed in a project, I'll be up until 1 or 2, which makes for a miserable breakfast time the next morning.